THE FIRST WAIHI SCHOOL
JUNE 12th. 1890.
PUPILS & TEACHERS
The following was written by my Grandmother, Elizabeth
ne้ GIBB, (b. Karaka Hill Thames,1869. d. Auckland 1936) who was the
first Teacher at this School..
On the first day the children enrolled were:-
and a little later....
The School Room was unlined and roughly put together,
winds whistling through the crack in the walls. They had to cross a
long plank bridge from the main street to get to it, and often crawled
across it when the wind was strong. There were no proper roads and
they got very wet along the tea-tree tracks.
The Teacher and children sometimes took long walks and had picnics
in Hollis' Bush, up Martha and Black Hills and in Round Bush, where
they gathered wild strawberries.
In 1882 Miss K. TRUSCOTT was appointed Head Teacher, with Mr.
R.J.CORBETT as assistant. There were then 60 children. Tenders were
called for a new School, which was opened in 1896, with Mr. BENGE as
Headmaster until 1914 and Miss Laura ROBERTS as Infant Mistress,
a position she held with great honour for 26 years.
By 1900 the Roll had risen to 538, and in 1901 the Waihi School became
a District High School, with a Staff of 11, its Secondary Roll in 1902 being
38. With the development of the "boom town" frequent additions were
necessary and by 1907 over 1000 pupils were attending.
WAIHI EAST SCHOOL
In 1907, to relieve overcrowding, the five class-roomed
East School was
opened, the Builders being Messrs. FISKE and ADAMS.
The first Headmaster was Mr. MACKIE and the first Infant
Miss ROGERSON followed by Mrs. HAWKINS. Other assistants were:-
Mr. BISHOP, Mr. DAY, Miss PIRRITT, Mr. TURBOTT & Miss WALKER.
Pupil Teachers from 1913 to 1916 were Misses N. SCOTT, O. SCOTT,
L. VALLANCE and M. WHITE. During this period Mr. DEAN became
Headmaster and Mrs. MURPHY Infant Mistress.
The School was destroyed by fire in 1939, with a total
loss of records,
but it is known that the following were Headmasters: Messrs. ANDREW,
DOWNAY, EDWARDS, HARDIE, MASEFIELDS and STAINTON.
The Goldren Jubilee, held in 1957, was attended by some original Pupils;
including Ivy DARLINGTON, Anna GRACIE, Addy KINN (BROWN),
Cecile LONGUET (LEOPALD), Inex LONGUET (FINLAYSON), Don
SAMSON, Mabel SAMSON (MIDDLETON), Ted SPEAK and Harry THOMAS.
A fall in pupil numbers in 1960 reduced the staff to
four Teachers, being
Mr. R. MUNRO (Head Teacher), Mrs. T. GRANT, Miss H. LANDY and
See also Tapu-Kerata
School Roll 1874 - 1899 This School is approximately
25 km. north of Thames, on the West Coast of the Coromandel Peninsular.
for Land Purchases From 1869 to 1930. A HUGE
Names From the Lands & Deeds Office Records, Thames.
COROMANDEL MAORI-LAND LEASES. 1850 - 1862 Showing Name of
Occupant: District: Year when the Occupation began: The
quantity of land held by him: The Tribe it belongs to: The type
of tenure: Number in Occupant's family: The trade or profession
of the occupant.
OFFICIALS. THAMES N.Z.1898. Names and details of 100
Scientific and Practical Mining men."
SIGNATURES FROM KARANGAHAKE A List of 100+ Residents of Karangahake, who
signed an unsuccessful petition to have the goldmining township
at the foot of the Coromandel peninsular declared a borough in 1907.